Ready to Move?

Tips for a Successful Interstate Move

True King Relocation is an FMCSA registered Household Goods Transportation Broker.
In other words, we help you find and hire a reputable moving company who is registered and regulated by the Federal Government (more specifically, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).

In legal terms, what that means is True King Relocation LLC is not a motor carrier authorized by the Federal Government to transport an individual shipper’s household goods, and we only arrange for an authorized household goods motor carrier to perform transportation services and, if applicable, additional services.


The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) protect consumers on interstate moves and define the rights and responsibilities of consumers and household goods carriers (movers).

This page provides information on how to choose a reputable mover and ways to stay informed. The best defense against moving fraud is to be informed and aware of your options when choosing a reputable mover. While most household moves go smoothly, there are dishonest or “rogue” movers you should be aware of. links you to other government, law enforcement and moving industry information sources. This is very important if you’re looking for more detailed State and local information, including how to file a complaint.

Know Your Rights and Responsibilities Before Selecting a Mover

Before moving your household goods, movers are required to give you this brochure and a booklet entitled Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move. They provide basic information that will help you understand the documents that a mover will ask you to sign. The booklet also explains your rights if your household goods are lost or damaged. Copies of this brochure and booklet can be downloaded from the Web site, which has additional helpful consumer information.

Use Only Registered Movers

Make sure the mover you select has been assigned a USDOT number, is registered with FMCSA to engage in interstate transportation of household goods, and has the proper level of insurance.

You can determine if a mover is registered with FMCSA by accessing, or calling FMCSA at (202) 366-9805 for licensing and (202) 385-2423 for insurance.

Read and Understand All Information Provided by the Mover

The mover should provide you with the following basic documents as part of your move:

The estimate should clearly describe, in writing, all charges for services the mover will perform. Make sure the estimate is signed by the mover.
Do not accept oral estimates.

Order for Service
The order for service is a list of all the services the mover will perform and shows the dates your household goods will be picked up and delivered.

Bill of Lading
The bill of lading is a contract between you and the mover and a receipt of your belongings. You should be given a partially completed copy of the bill of lading before the mover leaves the residence at origin.

Inventory List
The inventory is the receipt showing each item you shipped and its condition. Be sure you receive a written copy of the inventory after your household goods are loaded, and that you agree with its description of your household goods’ condition.

What if There Is a Problem?

Dispute Settlement Program
Before moving your household goods, interstate movers are required to provide you with information regarding their dispute settlement program. Movers must offer a neutral dispute settlement program as a means of settling disputes that may arise concerning loss or damage of your household goods.

Loss or Damage of Goods
If your goods are damaged or missing at delivery, request a company claim form from the mover. Complete the claim form to the best of your ability. The mover will tell you where to mail the completed form. You must file a written claim with the mover within 9 months of delivery. Your claim must be in writing but does not have to be submitted on a mover’s claim form. It is suggested that you send the claims information to the mover by certified mail.

If you are not satisfied with the settlement offer made by the mover, you have the option of submitting a loss and damage claim with the mover’s dispute settlement program or to seek other legal remedies.

Applicable Transportation Charges
The charges that a mover assesses for its services must be contained in a published tariff, which must be made available to you upon request. If you feel that a mover has overcharged you, you can contact the Surface Transportation Board at 1-866-254-1792 to obtain further assistance.

Filing a Complaint
FMCSA does not have the authority to resolve claims against a moving company. However, you may file a complaint against a mover by visiting or calling 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238) Monday–Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. e.s.t. Your complaint may trigger a Federal enforcement investigation against the mover.

Key Definitions

Broker: A company that arranges for the truck transportation of cargo belonging to others, utilizing for-hire carriers to provide the actual truck transportation. A broker does not assume responsibility for the cargo and usually does not take possession of the cargo.

Tariff: A list of rates, rules, regulations, and available services. Each mover publishes its own tariffs and these must be provided to you upon request.

Remember: the best way to avoid problems is to be informed and plan ahead. Do not sign blank documents.


Q. Where can I get a copy of Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move and other helpful consumer information?

A. Visit

Q. Where can I find out whether a mover is registered with FMCSA?
A. Visit

Q. Where can I obtain information about a mover, broker or freight forwarder’s insurance and process agent?
A. Visit or call 202-385-2423.

Q. How do I get assistance to determine if a mover has assessed the correct transportation charges?
A. Visit or call the Surface Transportation Board at 1-866-254-1792.

Q. Where may I file a complaint against a mover?
A. Visit or call 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238) Monday–Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. e.s.t.

Q. In addition to FMCSA, are there other authorities I should contact to report a mover?
A. Yes. State attorneys general and consumer affairs agencies are responsible for pursuing suspected moving fraud. Search for contacts in your State.

Q. How can I learn more about movers and transportation of household goods?
A. Visit and

FMCSA develops, maintains, and enforces Federal regulations that establish safe operating requirements for commercial vehicle drivers, carriers, vehicles, and vehicle equipment. FMCSA regulates interstate household goods movers and requires them to register with the Agency. Its regulations assist consumers on interstate moves and define the rights and responsibilities of consumers and household goods carriers.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
TTY: 1-800-877-8339
Publication No: FMCSA-ESA-03-005
Revised April 2006

[Download PDF Version of this Brochure] [Español PDF Version of this Brochure]
Live Chat
Copyright © 2013 True King Relocation. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use